Attention all Owners and Trainers
The HBPA and the MJC are pleased to announce that a contract for the 2009 season has been negotiated and signed. AS well, the GRADED PURSE SCHEDULE HAS BEEN Set.
By advising You, the horsemen of the changes for 2009, At this early time we hope to help you decide what stock to keep, sell, and buy so you can be well prepared, and have a most successful season in 2009!
The following are highlights of some of the changes for next season:
LIVE RACE CALENDAR
- We will run a 70 day meet. At this time we are researching which days of the week would be most advantageous to our handle and will advise the membership as soon as this decision is made.
- The HBPA levy will be deducted off of purses 1st through 5th place. A flat fee of $60.00 will be paid out to all horses that finish 6th through last place. Owners will pay a starting charge of $50.00 per year per horse that starts during the live race season at ASD. Thirty dollars of this amount will be placed in the flat fee fund as outlined and twenty dollars shall be paid to the HBPA per the previous two years to be used solely for improvements to the living conditions on the backstretch.
- The equiciser will be available on February 14, 2009 with the training track scheduled to be open on March 1, 2009.
- Night security will commence on March 1, 2009.
GRADED PURSE SCHEDULE
- We are offering a new claiming level for three year olds and up with a price tag of $30,000. and a purse of $17,000.
- We are expanding our Marathon series for 3 year olds and up!
The first two races of the series will be for horses that have started at least once in 2008-2009 for claiming $6000. or less offering purses of $9,000. a piece. The final two will be Starter Allowance Races offering purses of $12,000. and for the final $15,000.. The races will be run at 1 1/8, 1 ¼,
1 ½ ending with the final at 1 ¾ miles.
In order to run in the final races you must have started in at least one of the previous two races.
- There will be a $20,000. open allowance race offered at 6 F later in the season; one for Fillies and Mares and one for colts and geldings.
While the dates for this schedule have not been finalized as yet, some confirmed changes include:
Local preparation for Manitoba Derby:
- Removal of the $50,000 Derby Trial
- offer a 3 yr old open allowance with a purse of $20,000 (route)
Enhancements to the 2 Year Old Program:
- Removal of the two $20,000. open allowance for 2 year old and replace with the return of the Graduation and Osiris Stakes ( featuring $30,000. purses for each)
- Therefore the available 2 year old stakes are: Debutante, Graduation, Osiris, Winnipeg Futurity
- The Futurity will be shortened back to 6 furlongs